In context with the MGNREGA, which among the following works have been prescribed to be done by the Gram Sabha?
1. Registering Households
2. Issuing Job Cards
3. Conducting Social Audits
Choose the correct option:
Difference between the works and duties assigned to Gram Sabha and Gram Panchayats under MGNREGA
Gram Sabha (GS):
The Gram Sabha has been given the following rights and responsibilities under the Act
- It will recommend works to be taken up under MGNREGA
- It will conduct social audits on implementation of the Scheme
- In addition, it is suggested that the Gram Sabha be used extensively as a forum for sharing information about the Scheme.
Gram Panchayat (GP):
The Gram Panchayat is the pivotal body for implementation at the village level. Where Part Nine of the Constitution does not apply, local councils / authorities as mandated by the State concerned will be invested with corresponding responsibilities. The Gram Panchayat is responsible for the following activities:
- Planning of works
- Receiving applications for registration
- Verifying registration applications
- Registering households
- Issuing Job Cards
- Receiving applications for employment
- Issuing dated receipts,
- Allotting employment within fifteen days of application
- Executing works
- Maintaining records
- Convening the Gram Sabha for social audit
- Monitoring the implementation of the Scheme at the village level.
The most relevant thing you have to keep in mind is that Social Audit is done by Gram Sabha.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module