1. was first head of the state of Independent India
2. served as both Governor General of Union of India and President of India
3. founded the Swatantra Party
4. was described by Mahatma Gandhi as “keeper of his conscience”
5. succeeded Sardar Patel as Home Minister of India
Select the correct statements from the codes given below:
The first statement is incorrect. First head of the state of Independent India was Lord Mountabatten who remained so till 1948, after that CR took over from him. Second statement is incorrect. He served as Governor General of Union of India and not president. 3, 4 & 5 are correct.
C Rajgopalachari served as Governor of West Bengal from 1947 to 1948, Governor-General of India from 1948 to 1950, as Union Home Minister from 1951 to 1952 (invited after Patel’s death) and the Chief Minister of Madras state from 1952 to 1954. He resigned from the Indian National Congress and with NG Ranga, founded the Swatantra Party, which fought against the Congress in the in 1960s and early 70s. He has written the song Kurai Onrum Illai, which is sung in the Carnatic Music.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module