The Election Commission of India is ___:
1. a permanent Body
2. independent of the jurisdiction of executive and legislative departments
3. vested with powers to appoint election tribunals
Which among the above is / are correct?
For the conduct of free and fair elections an independent Election Commission has been provided for in Article 324. Constitution of India has provided a separate chapter for elections and has not left the elections to jurisdiction of the executive and legislative departments of the government. This is mainly because the makers of the constitution had been very serious to safeguard this political right as an integral part of the constitution itself’. Please note that Election Commission is entrusted for the following matters:
- Election of President
- Election of Vice-President
- Election of Lok Sabha as well as Rajya Sabha
- Elections to State Legislatures as well as Legislative Councils
- Reservation of Seats in Lok Sabha and State Legislatures
- Qualifications of the MPs and MLAs
- Determination of population for purposes of election
The powers of the election Commission are as follows
- Superintendence , direction and control of all the elections mentioned above
- Power of appointing election tribunals for the decisions of doubts and disputes in connection with the elections.
- Election commission of India is a permanent body.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module