With reference to temples at Khajuraho, consider the following statements:
1. Kandariya Mahadev Temple is the largest and oldest among all temples at Khajuraho
2. All temples of Khajuraho have presence of the erotic carvings that adorn their walls
3. The Devi Jagdambi temple was originally a Vishnu temple but later converted to a different deity
Which among the above is / are correct statements?
The first and second statements are not correct.
- It is true that Kandāriā Mahadevā Temple is the largest among all the temples in Khajuraho, but it is not the oldest. Oldest temple is Chausath Yogini temple, which is also oldest only one that is made of local granite. All the other temples are made up of sandstones.
- Not all temples have erotic carvings. For example, Chaturbhuj temple, dedicated to lord Vishnu and is the one (and only) temple that is devoid of any erotic art.
- Third statement is correct.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module