The Biological Diversity Act, 2002 has made provisions for the establishment of the Biodiversity Management Committees. In this context, consider the following statements:
1. A Biodiversity Management Committee is established by the state government by notification
2. One of the major functions of the Biodiversity Management Committee is to promote conservation of the folk varieties and cultivars
3. Biodiversity Management Committee advises the state government on matters of biodiversity conservation on state level
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
Every local body shall constitute a Biodiversity Management Committee within its area for the purpose of promoting conservation, sustainable use and documentation of biological diversity including preservation of habitats, conservation of land races, folk varieties and cultivars, domesticated stocks and breeds of animals and microorganisms and chronicling of knowledge relating to biological diversity.
For the purposes of this sub section,
- “cultivar” means a variety of plant that has originated and persisted under cultivation or was specifically bred for the purpose of cultivation
- “folk variety” means a cultivated variety of plant that was developed, grown and exchanged informally among farmers
- “landrace” means primitive cultivar that was grown by ancient farmers and their successors.
The National Biodiversity Authority and the State Biodiversity Boards shall consult the Biodiversity Management Committees while taking any decision relating to the use of biological resources and knowledge associated with such resources occurring within the territorial jurisdiction of the Biodiversity Management Committee.
The Biodiversity Management Committees may levy charges by way of collection fees from any person for accessing or collecting any biological resource for commercial purposes from areas falling within its territorial jurisdiction.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module