Consider the following:
1. Natural wetlands do not have the capacity to clean water
2. Constructed wetlands are engineered marshes that are able to cleanse water
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
Natural wetlands purify water by breaking down and assimilating nutrients, bacteria, and other contaminants. Wetlands can be designed and constructed to take advantage of these naturally occurring processes to treat wastewater from a variety of sources. Please note that Constructed wetlands:
- provide a cost effective alternative to liquid storage systems
- help to ensure that water resources are protected from contaminants
- provide valuable wildlife habitat
- require very low maintenance and take advantage of processes that occur in nature
- look natural and add to the appearance of the farm.
- good for Indian conditions as tropical climate is ideal for the working of the system
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module