Consider the following statements about the Shola Forests:
1. Shola Forests are typically found in Eastern Himalayas
2. Shola Forests are mainly moist broadleaf forests
3. Indian mahogany and Gular trees are commonly found in Shola Forests
Which among the above is / are correct statements?
Sholas’ is a word derived from Tamil word sholai meaning tropical rain forest. They are patches of evergreen tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests amid grasslands found in Southern India, particularly Nilgiris, Palnis, the Western Ghats and associated ranges in the states of Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
The dominant trees in this type of forest are
- Michelia niligarica (Zenker)
- Bischofia javanica (bishop wood)
- Cedrela toona (Indian mahogany)
- Ficus glomerata (gular fig tree) etc.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module