Consider the following statements:
- While censure motion can be moved against individual minister, no confidence motion can be moved only against entire Council of Ministers
- While censure motion can be moved in either house of the parliament, no-confidence motion can be moved only in Lok Sabha
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Second statement is wrong because like no confidence motion, censure motion can also be moved only in Lok Sabha.Kindly, note the following differences-
- In case of censure motion, reasons must be stated for its adoption in the Lok Sabha while in case of motion of no confidence no such reasons for its adoption are required to be stated in the Lok Sabha.
- No confidence motion can only be moved against the entire council of ministers while censure motion can be moved against an individual minister, a group of ministers and the entire council of ministers.
- Censure motion is moved for censuring the council of ministers for specific policies and action and no confidence motion on the otherhand, is moved for ascertaining the confidence of Lok Sabha in the council of ministers.
- The council of ministers need not resign from the office if censure motion is passed in the Lok Sabha while in case of motion of no confidence, the council of minister must resign from office if the motion is passed.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module