Identify the famous movement in India's freedom struggle, with the help of given information:
1. The movement was a declaration of right to self-government not of the dominion variety
2. The movement was featured by widespread hartals, strikes and other outbreaks, called the “Great August Uprising“.
3. Within a week's time after the launch of movement, Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Aazad and many other leaders were sentenced to jails.
Select the correct answer from options given below:
The above features are of Quit India Movement.
In July 1942, the Congress Working Committee met at Wardha. Here a long resolution was passed that demanded that the “British Rule in India must end immediately”.
- This resolution was an outcome of the change in attitude of Congress and Gandhi himself towards British.
- The attitude changed because in the Second World War the Japanese were triumphing and they had already overrun Singapore and Malaya. They were nearly reaching Burma and India. So it was thought that “Presence of British in India was an invitation to Japan to invade”.
- The Wardha Resolution is also known as “Quit India Resolution”.This resolution was ratified in the All India Congress Committee at Bombay on August 7, 1942. Here a nonviolent mass struggle under the leadership of Gandhi was sanctioned in the “August Kranti Maidan”.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module